Borough Villeray / Saint-Michel
First housing in Villeray started around 1870. The original center of the district was located somewhere near Saint-Gérard Street south of Villeray Street. The area was a small suburban town which experienced a prodigious boom early in the twentieth century with the arrival of the tramway. From now on, workers could live far from their workplaces. The first line was located on the Lajeunesse Street.
In 1896 the village becomes a city and pretty soon, (September 11, 1905), the small town of Villeray with its 800 inhabitants merged with Montreal city and particularly with the north of former Saint-Denis district. The population was mostly composed of specialized workers.
With the Saint-Hubert Street, which was then one of the biggest commercial centers in Montreal, the small town of Villeray wasn’t missing anything.
It was after World War II that the number of resident goes beyond limits with the construction of numerous apartment blocks and other plex. Today the neighbourhood is integrated in the borough of Villeray-Saint-Michel-Parc-Extension and its territory is fully developed for at least 20 years.
192 Pictures of Villeray / Saint-Michel, Montréal.
Historical buildings and skyscrapers in borough Villeray / Saint-Michel
Schools and Universities
City pictures : borough Villeray / Saint-Michel