Borough Plateau Mont-Royal
History of the Plateau Mount-Royal
During main part of the XIX century, the inhabited section of the Plateaux Mount-Royal was the Saint-Jean Baptist village located at the north of the Sherbrooke street up to Duluth street. This part was occupied by small English families fleeing the growing activity of the city central districts.
The northern part was later occupied by the Saint-Louis village. There was also the village De Lorimier (between Current Street Papineau and Iberville) as well as the Saint-Michel village.
Among first “industries” of this borough, for most of them where rock excavation companies, all located at the north of the district giving rise to Côte Saint-Louis in 1846, also called the village of the black feet. For their needs was erected one of the first church out of Montreal’s walls. The church Saint Enfant-Jesus of the Mile-End was built later on the same site. The village was divided in 1875 to giving the village of Côte-Saint-Louis and Saint-Louis of the Mile-End
As a matter of fact, the city of Montreal was growing really fast, rapidly, villages and suburbs around were absorbed by the growing city. Thus Côte-Saint-Louis is annexed in 1893 follow-ups by the village De Lorimier and Saint Louis of the Mile-End in 1909.
From these years on, The plateau Mount-Royal known a phase of accelerated urbanization as well as a diversification of its population due to massive arriving of immigrants from Eastern Europe.
Known for a while as a working class borough, the Plateau Mont-Royal as changed drastically over the last decade to a trendy touristy district fill with nice restaurants and café while apartments and houses value have gone up by at least 200 %
607 Pictures of Plateau Mont-Royal, Montréal.
Historical buildings and skyscrapers in borough Plateau Mont-Royal
Schools and Universities
Monasteries, Religious Buildings
Typical Duplex and triplex
City pictures : borough Plateau Mont-Royal
Wall painted publicities