This small winding street is named that way because of a spelling error. The real name was Guibord from Joseph Guibord a printer member of the Canadian Institute.
His death had raised an huge controversy, as part of the Canadian Institute, an institution considered liberal, Monseigneur Bourget refused the burial of Joseph Guibord in a Catholic cemetery. He was finally buried in the cemetery of Notre-Dame des Neiges, ownership of Notre-Dame Parish, led by the Sulpicians (an act of rebellion against the bishop?). The time gave reason to Msg Bourget and the Canadian Institute ceases its activities.
1876 : Opening year of this street or name change
Former name of this street : rue des carrières rue Verchères rue Paul Kruger
Boroughs / districts where theses pictures where taken : Plateau Mont-Royal
CODEIMTL 4149 : Last update of this page 2009-10-14 | 7821 hits on this page since 2010/12/31
Reference book: Les Rues de Montréal, répertoire Historique see