The Old Port of Montreal is now a must see for tourists in Montreal. It has not always been this way. This place has been the first place of trade in the city. Bordering De La Commune Street, the Old Port has seen the birth and grows of Ville-Marie and then Montreal.
Short History of the Old Port of Montreal b>
Ground zero of Montrealists arrival in 1642, the coastline has changed a lot since. Many changes have altered the appearance of the Old Port of Montreal beginning with the construction of the five quays (Alexandra, King Edward, Jacques-Cartier and Clock, conveyors). The clock tower was built in 1922 in memories of mariners that died during the First World War.
A major retrofit b>
While port activities are increasingly, being installed in the east end of Montreal, the occupation of the old port is discussed. Property of the Government of Canada, the space is occupied by many grains elevators, warehouses and others functional buildings. An idea then came around: To give Montrealers access to the river for on this sector. An urbanism contest is organized to have many projects to choose from, then grains silo N3 is destroyed and the water side is transforms in a large pedestrian alley (Promenade des Quais) and finally the Bonsecours Basin is built.
Touristic Old Port b>
Since its completion in the beginning of the 90’s, the old port has seen many tourism facilities installed such as the Science Centre, Imax, bookshops and the location of various amusement machines; 4 places bikes, Segway and Rollerblades, all to use the bicycle path that goes beyond the Lachine Canal. It also became a place for shows of all kinds like the Canada Day celebrations and performances of the Cirque du Soleil. The Bonsecours Basin is even transformed into a skating rink in winter times.