User | Français
55 Online Users
18614 images
Images Montreal : more about a Montreal building | All building |

Share |

Peter Lyall House

  See this building

on a map

(without leaving this page)

Old House : 6.88 / 10 - 234 votes
Building's name

Peter Lyall House


John James Browne  

Location / address
1445 Bishop Street
Quebec, Canada

Near subway station Guy-Concordia

  Bus : 15

Get directions to this building from (zip code)

Borough Downtown
Arrondissement Ville-Marie
Centre de l'Île

5 floors(overground)

Year of completion

Building type
Old House

Last update:

CodeIMTL 11

Peter Lyall House

History and facts about this building
This house was built in red sandstone, a stone imported from Scotland really appreciated by the owner / builder. The medieval type sculptures are the work of Henry Beaumont. This home designed by architect John James Browne has one of the most spectacular facades of the Golden Square Mile.

Upon his arrival in Montreal, Mr. Lyall work for his cousin Peter Nicholson. A few years later in 1876, he founded the Peter Lyall & Son Construction Co, a business he lead with two of his son. He was a construction contractor active in Montreal and participated in the construction of several large buildings in Montreal to name the Customs Building, the Municipal Court of Montreal, the headquarters of the Grand Trunk Railway Company, the New York Life Insurance Company Building and the Royal Victoria College. His company was responsible for rebuilding of the Palace of Parliament in Ottawa after the 1916 fire.

Peter Lyall was born in Scotland in 1841 and died in Montreal in 1913. Despite the time spent in his company, he had time to make a short career of two years as an city council and also already tried to get elected in a federal elections. He also contributed to many companies like the Lachine Rapids Hydraulic and Land Co. and the Savings Bank of Mont-Royal. He served also as president of Western Hospital and the Verdun Hospital.

Originally, the house was surrounded by a large site used for the storage of various building materials. After the death of Mr Lyall and a few years after his wife had moved, the building was divided into 12 units by architect Joseph Sayer. Despite the renovations a beautiful fireplace mantel designed by Henry Beaumont and a starirway were preserved.

This building has a neo-Romanesque architectural style characterized by his deep arched openings. Note that another analysis can be made. Guy Pinard in Volume 1 of his book series on Montreal entered the building in the French Renaissance style.


John James Browne  

Modifications :
1922 : Joseph Sawyer

  See related pictures: same borough or picture type

Picture of borough Downtown

Old House | Next »  

  Building achieved the same year (1889)
  Facts about Montreal Source    More statistics on Montreal
  • Area of Montreal city is 482,8 km2
  • The larget company in Montreal is BCE Bell Canada with ~ 12 000 employees
  • Montreal is the more bicycle friendly city in north america
  Statistics about this page
24287 hits on this page since May 5 2010

Popularity index: 147 / 2977

Position change : - 10 ( -0.4 %) has no relation with owner of this building

Almost all our images can be purchased in hight resolution format - 5000 * 3500 pixels, Contact us

All pictures on this website are protected through copyright. Anyone who uses them on personal or commersial websites or other media, commits a violation of the law

2005-2016 Montreal images | Contact us | | Send to a friend
Image Montreal:Pictures of Montreal ( MTL Province Quebec QC Canada), Photography, historical building, Architecture and Skyscrapers